Dear friends of lithography,
We look forward to the anniversary of Aloys Senefelder and cordially invite you to the "special exhibition and ceremony" on December 6, 2018, 17.00h in the house of the city history.
Andreas Weber reports:
A successful Senefelder festive evening in the house of the town history Offenbach am Main on the day of the lithograph, the 6. December 2018.
The large hall was well filled, the public quite internationally. Offenbach's Lord
Mayor Felix Schwenke emphasized in his dedicated greeting the city's affinity with Senefelder and the International Senefelder Foundation (ISS).
Senefelders lifetime performance is quite comparable to that of an industrial pioneer like Carl Benz.
The chairman of the foundation, Prof. Dr. Gerhard Kilger emphasized: "It is exactly 200 years since Aloys Senefelder published his textbook on the 'chemical printing industry'. He had spent almost 25 years since his discovery, but it was important to him that this great invention not be released in its experimental infancy, but as a professional printing technology in their future. In fact, at that time, his technique was already commercially successful in many printing companies around the world. Alois Senefelder had discovered the lithographic printing on stone in Munich through many experiments, in Offenbach he founded his first professional printing company with the music publisher André. From there, economic success began with the many possibilities of planographic printing. Today, one can rightly claim that flat-printing has brought pictures, graphics and colorful diversity into life to this day. "
At the same time, Prof. Dr. Kilger to the merits of the art historian, lithography expert and Senefelder biographer Prof. Wilhelm Weber, who - born 1918, died in 1999 - since the founding of the foundation over a generation away the foundation advisory board. "Even today, the book publications of Prof. Weber are the standard works to illustrate the great importance of Senefelder and lithography for art and artists around the globe."
Andreas Weber, also a member of the ISS for more than 15 years, thanked in the name of his family that the Foundation honors the work and work of his father; and quoted from a note of his father, which he found in the estate: "The International Senefelder Foundation has not only permanently commemorated the ingenious inventor of lithography, but keeps alive the result of his work to impulses and suggestions to us all over again to lend. Art and artists as well as technology enter into a special symbiosis, supported by inexhaustible creativity. "
In a scientifically founded analysis, Museum Director Dr. Jürgen Eichenauer Insight into the exciting and not always straight-lined life story of Senefelder and his business friendship with the music publishing family Andrè, but which should change the world. Dr. Harry Neß from the International Working Group on Print and Media History created a wonderful atmosphere in his reading from the Senefelder textbook, which brought the drive and experiences of the ingenious inventor to life in a highly detailed manner. -aw
Speech by prof. dr. Kilger, ISS, on August 29, 2018 - on the occasion of the 3rd International Lithography Days in Munich:
History of the colloquium
5th december 2017 - video:
House of town history
6th december 2017 - video:
1. Introduction to the seminar
2. First section
3. Second part
Presentation materials of the participants
Pictures of the colloquium on 5 and 6 december 2017
(Dorsch, Gehrmann, Weber)
Dear Sir or Madam,
the International Senefelder Foundation as already informed on the 6th of December, 2017 her first Senefelder Colloquium in Offenbach. This is the international day of lithography. On account of many feedbacks now we send You specifics. The most important topics will exist of keynote lecture, the short presentations of the participants and a presented discussion about the theses paper. In the eve we are welcomed with receipt in the city hall and afterwards mutually get to know. Before the the possibility the inspection of the collection of the foundation exists. A conference fee is not raised, information to place and overnight possibility is informed after the shapeless registration.
We would be glad, if possibly many take part, which are active with lithograph stones.
Prof. Dr. Gerhard Kilger Chairman of Senefelder Foundation
“Quo vadis: saxa loquuntur?”
05.12.2017 (House of Municipal history / Town hall)
16.00 h Möglichkeit der Besichtigung der Senefeldersammlung /
Possibiltiy to visit the Senefelder collection
(House of city history)
19.00 h Empfang im Rathaus Offenbach /
Reception in the Town Hall Offenbach
06.12.2017 (Landeskunsthochschule Offenbach/academy of fine art)
09.00 h Registrierung / Registration
09.15 h Begrüßung / Welcome
09.30 h Keynote-Vortrag u. Diskussion / Keynote lecture and discussion
10.30 h Kaffeepause / Coffee break
11.00 h Panorama 1
12.30 h Mittagessen / Lunch
13.30 h Panorama 2
15.00 h Kaffeepause / Coffee break
15.30 h Diskurs: Thesen 1 – 4 / Discourse Theses 1 - 4
17.00 h Abreisen / Departure
1. Professional lithography has died in the 20th century. Presently there are worldwide few experts, the professional experience in the historical printing technology. To counter the loss of skill existing knowledge to transfer and document the material and immaterial inheritance necessary.
2. The artistic lithography uses possibilities of impression in link with experimental and creative techniques. Their goal is not in the professional duplication of templates, but in the creative process for the production of art. Since these artistic processes are an important one further development of lithography, are transfer and documentation of these artistic processes.
3. The value of original printing techniques is currently too low on market rated. Although the production of a lithography both professional and temporal requires a higher effort than for other artistic techniques, the countervalue is not generally perceived. It is necessary, artisans, collectors, museums, gallery owners and critics convince that hand prints of lithographs in small edition as originals to be displayd.
4. Although most lithography workshops know of other facilities and some meetings have been held, is a network of all worldwide activities necessary. It should be possible, that in a network exchange, cooperation and information will be better.